Matthew 13:31-32
"He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches."
Yes, meager beginnings. I can relate to this parable. All great things start small don't they? I can't think of any great thing that every started big. I think we must trust God for the growth and plant the seed no matter how small. Planting seeds are a risk aren't they? I can plant seeds in my back yard in Phoenix and it may or may not grow, but I still plant them in the hope they will grow.
We can take this attitude towards kindness and forgiveness. We can plant seeds of kindness, hope, gentleness and love, but we don't really know if those seeds will grow. We don't know that they won't grow in a different climate (environment). Is it our job to watch the seed grow or just plant the seed? Personally I think we just need to plant the seeds and leave the rest up to the Holy Spirit.
There are people in my past who I no longer am acquainted, can't remember their first OR last name yet they planted a seed in my mind in a matter of seconds. In some cases those seeds started a burning desire in me to get to know God. Some people can plant seeds that just feed the negative. Those are the seeds we want to not "receive" but throw down.
God, thank you for this parable. Thank you for bringing to my mind that my job is not to grow a giant tree, but plant Kingdom seeds no matter how small they are, they have the potential to grow into something amazing - as long as your spirit is upon it. Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment