This is a busy time of year for a church. Easter is around the corner. It's difficult to not get caught up in the hustle and bustle (as is the same at Christmas time) of Easter and miss the entire season. This is one of the reasons why I'm forcing myself to write each day about my journey. It disciplines me to not let the days go by just full of tasks and a to do list. It makes me sit and think about what I learned that day and to make sure and take time TO learn something each day or spend time with someone each day. If I'm honest, this would be a good practice for me to do every day of my life. I never want to take for granted my life and miss the "God" moments that are all around me and I just miss them because I"m too "busy".
Today is the first day in weeks that I felt some "workload" lift up. I almost felt uncomfortable as if I was missing something really important. I'm so use to multitasking so many different activities. Maybe it's because for the first time all year I don't have a memorial service to plan for the weekend!! For whatever reason, it is a blessing. Beacuse of this light load, I was able to go see a friend healing from alcoholism (and physical effects from it) and have coffee and build on our friendship/relationship. He called that morning (which is rare) and I immediately called him back and offered to take him to breakfast. He said "yes"!
I picked him up and we went and had breakfast at Biscuits, a local favorite mom and pop restaurant. We chatted about the journey he is on right now. We chatted about how he is trying to keep peaceful in order to heal. We chatted about the chaos around him that he is trying to avoid being a part of. For example, the elderly lady he is living with has a son coming into town. She is very stressed out about accommodating him and making sure he is comfortable and because of this she is turning the whole house upside down in anxiety. As I listened to this story I thought to myself, "Will I be anxious when my adult kids come to the house?" It's hard to imagine right now because the kids are the ones MESSING it up right now!! haha. Anyway, I listened as he talked about how he is trying to stay out of the chaos for his healing sake.
I was really impressed with his ability to discern what was good for him. He's had a rough last couple years. He lost both parents in a matter of a couple months and lost his home. Most people would of given up and lost hope, but he hasn't. God is his rock and he knows he wouldn't be here today without God putting people in his life that loves him and walks alongside him during the rough spots.
When I dropped him off at his place, there were two cars parked out front. Two people who wanted to get involved in the chaos rearranging the furniture. The last thing I said to him was, "Call me if you need an escape!".
When I think of Doug I think of this verse:
"I am strong and of good courage, I do not fear nor am I afraid, for the Lord my God, He is the one who goes with me. He will not leave me nor forsake me." Deuteronomy 31:6
Father God, I thank you for my friend Doug. He has been a generous and uncondtional friend to me and those around me. He brings joy to people who meet him because of the spirit you put in him. I ask you to continue to heal his body and his mind. I ask you to bring peace to his lady room mate regarding the visit of her son. I ask you to continue to put into his life who he needs. I praise you for the work and healing you have already done and ask you for wisdom for how I can serve Doug during this time of his life. In Jesus' name, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment